Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2018

Change of Plans x2


The mushrooms in Hubbard Park are obviously loving this weather. This week is full of rainy days, too.

Visit #1139, Sunday 3 June 18, 7:40-9:30AM, 2.3 miles.
Temps in the low 60's, partly sunny with low humidity.

Last week I reported finding a fallen tree across the Blue Trail, and promised to return this week with my chainsaw to remove it.

Those plans changed when I took a mountain bike ride through the trails in Hubbard Park on Friday and noticed someone had defiled the Halfway House with a lot of graffiti. This graffiti was not there last week, when I met the trail running group there. I felt the graffiti was more in need of immediate attention, so I would take care of it today.

Once I reached Merimere Reservoir, I hiked up the Green Trail, where I encountered a deer, or perhaps they encountered me.


We had a staredown for a few minutes, then went our separate ways.

Shortly, I reached the Halfway House and all the graffiti.












Out came the tools and I painted over all of it.



I started early this morning to minimize the number of people passing through who might touch the wet paint.

Finished, I packed up and followed the White Trail toward I-691. Enroute, I came upon our repeat, Christian, Bible quoting graffiti vandal. This is the sixth time since September 2017 that I've encountered their scribbling.


Normally I'd return with gray paint, but since the brown paint was handy, I used it.


I hiked back to the park and dropped off my bag of litter.


It was at this time I reasoned that since this morning's session was short, I would return in the afternoon, drive up to Castle Craig, and cut up that tree on the Blue Trail. I noticed the sign at the gate advertised the road to East/West Peak would be open to 7PM, which would give me plenty of time. However, when I arrived at the gate at 4:15PM, I noticed there was NO SIGN.

The fact is, the sign listing the late hours on summer weekends, is only printed on ONE SIDE; the side facing Merimere Reservoir. I felt it was too risky of a gamble to get stuck behind a locked gate, so I changed my plans for the second time this weekend and left the park, leaving the chainsaw work for next week.

If I think of it, I'll take photos of the sign next week to show you what I mean.

Till then.




No comments:

Post a Comment