Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2020

He's Baaaack...

Getting back was the hard part.

Visit #1229, Sunday 19 January 20, 1:10-2:25PM, 2.4miles, 0.5lbs. of trash.
Temps in the low 40's, cloudy and breezy, post snowstorm.

As reported in my last blog post, I was going to miss a week's entry because I would be in Chicago for training. Well, I almost missed this week's entry, too.

The snowstorm on Saturday which dropped 6" on Meriden dropped a similar amount in Chicago on Friday, the day I was to fly home, to Bradley Airport. I was stuck at O'Hare airport on Friday night when my flight was canceled.

On Saturday, I was rerouted to Washington D.C., where I was stuck at Reagan Airport for Saturday night as I was too late to meet my connecting flight to Bradley Airport.

So I arrived back home early Sunday afternoon with little sleep and a lot of post-trip chores, one of which was to check out the trails in Hubbard Park.

I had no agenda planned, and the snow cover meant I likely wouldn't find much trash. But on the drive over to the park, I saw what today's schedule would include.

Someone had vandalized the two flags displayed on the walkbridge over I-691. I would remove the slashed flags and dispose of them properly.

As I hiked over to the walkbridge I got a clear idea as to how many people were using the trail bypass I created around a fallen tree. It seems MOST hikers, but not all, were able to figure out the revised route.


I hiked over to the bridge and cut the flags down.




I turned around, returned to the park, and picked up very little trash. While disposing of it, I found a pair of knit gloves on the fence post. I'll wash them and get 'em to Goodwill.


Feels good to be home and back into a familiar routine.



No comments:

Post a Comment