Pages

Sunday, July 5, 2020

July 4th Weekend



It was a steamy day out there Sunday, one I tried to avoid...

Visit 1256x, Friday 3 July 20, 4:50-5:00AM, mileage and litter n/a.

Visit 1256, Sunday 5 July 20, 9:40-11:25AM, 3.3miles, 7.6lbs. of litter.
Temps in the low 80's, sunny and very humid.

Earlier in the week I rode my bike through Hubbard Park to scout out some graffiti I'd recently spotted. Since it was in a frequently traffic'd spot, and I didn't want to draw attention to myself, I thought I'd arrive at the park VERY early, paint over it, and be outta there in minutes. The paint would dry before anyone walked on it. Or at least that was my plan...

Could you believe I arrived at the park on Friday BEFORE 5AM and I wasn't the first person there?! My plans almost went to poop.  I stalled a few minutes while a couple exited their car and began walking up the road toward Merimere Reservoir, then I went to work.

The graffiti was near the gate across the road. Similar graffiti was found by me at the end of May, at the opposite end of Merimere Reservoir.


I came already dressed in coveralls, so all I had to do was open the paint can and dip my brush.


I briskly marched up to the water department building by the retention ponds to address the other graffiti. This is the sixth time I've found this tag since 2016.


I used Goof-Off and a toothbrush.


A swipe with a rag and it was good enough for government work.


To show you how brave I am, while I was scrubbing, just a few feet to my left under the window sill...


Thank goodness they were sleeping, which is where I should have been.

I planned on returning to Hubbard Park early Sunday morning to avoid the heat, and I thought I might try to clean up around the park itself after any July 4th celebrations.

But I was on call, and while driving to the park early Sunday morning, I received an after hours service call, which scuttled my plans. When I later arrived at the park, a Parks Department crew was already driving a golf cart around picking up litter, and they later assured me they covered the entire park.

I headed west toward the I-691 walkbridge. Along the way I found Painted Rock #22.


I keep finding car parts along a trail far from where any dumping of car parts should occur. Sunday was another case in point.


I reached the trail end across from Belmont Avenue and found another car part, which I placed in a conspicuous spot for the Parks Department to pick up later after I notified them.


I returned to the park, rolling my tire to the dumpster at the Parks Department dumpster, when I met Parks employee Dave.


While chatting with Dave I mentioned the car part above and he said he would drive by and pick it up. Sure enough, when I left the park and passed by the parking area, it was gone. Thanks to Dave of the Parks Department crew for such a prompt response.

Freed of a heavy load, I opened another bag and walked a loop to the south end of Merimere Reservoir and back to the parking lot via the Soap Box Derby track.

When I ended at the playscape, I discovered it has reopened after Covid-19 precautions had closed the playscape several months ago. Children will be thrilled to have the opportunity to slide, swing, climb, and scrape their knees again.


I was informed this week by a frequent hiker in Hubbard Park of a fallen tree across a trail. Next week will be a Power Tools Weekend®!

No comments:

Post a Comment