Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2021

Head Down, Eyes Up


 A family of hikers walk across the north end of Merimere Reservoir as the sun sets behind all of us.


Visit #1287, Saturday 9 January 21, 2:45-4:10PM, 3.7 miles, 5.2 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the mid-30's, mostly sunny.

After all the recent winds, I had one trail left to inspect for fallen trees and other damage. Since I was starting so late in the day, I chose to park outside the north end of Merimere Reservoir to reach that trail and eliminate the possibility of getting caught out on the trails in the dark.

I expected today would be a pretty dull session, so I would just keep my head down/eyes up and just plug along looking for litter, and maybe the occasional trail debris which might need removing.

Walking along the road to the trail head, I noticed this hemlock had recently fallen across the road. The lower portion of the tree rests on the guardrail and spans the Maloney Canal on the right.


About the only interesting things I ran into on this day were a group of mountain bikers exiting the trail as I approached the trailhead. Later on, I observed them descending one of the illegal mountain bike trails constructed in the park.

And as I started up the trail, I was passed by a group of ATVer's including one motocross biker.

The trail itself was clear of fallen debris and litter. A good thing.

The trail ended at West Peak, and I descended back to Merimere Reservoir via the road, checking for litter as I went.


It was while walking the road back to my car that I came upon my Find of the Week. It literally pays to keep my head down and eyes up!


My lucky find subsidized Saturday's dinner of General Tso's Chicken.



No comments:

Post a Comment