Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2021

Winter Turns The Corner-Then Turns Around and Runs Back Home!

 Like grandma with her "lucky" Bingo card, Ol' Man Winter just won't let go.

Visit #1295, Saturday 6 March 21, 1:50-4:00PM, 4.3 miles, 5.4 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 30's with a cold wind and increasing clouds.

After last week's relatively enjoyable temperatures, I thought we could kick winter into the past, but a week of near freezing temps lead to still-ice covered trails. And as Saturday's hike progressed, clouds overruled the sun and turned things even chillier.

I started this week's hike similar to last week, heading west toward the I-691 walkbridge. I had found some graffiti then, which I wanted to address now.


In fact, this graffiti was on two adjacent posts.

Neither my wire brush or sandpaper wouldn't touch it.


Which is why I brought spray paint.


The spray paint wasn't giving me quite full-coverage and would tend to run, probably due to the cold temps, so I may give it a second coat next week.

But that wasn't all the graffiti I had to contend with as I found new graffiti at other points in the park on this day.

At the I-691 walkbridge:


I knew this needed a thorough paint-over but that will have to wait for another week. However I thought my wire brush would be a best effort until then.


The wooden walkbridge up the trail offered more. Since I had the brown spray paint with me, I chose to give it a shot but it too, will need a better remedy in the upcoming weeks.



Down near the water tank, I was able to remove this graffiti better than the others.



While from a distance the hills and trails looked clear, upon closer inspection you would find them pretty icy. 

The going would be slow and slippery UNLESS you were properly equipped, as I was on Saturday.

One hiker approached me inquiring about the trail conditions as I exited the trail and they were deciding whether to enter, but I advised them against it. The heeded my advice.

Reaching the north end of Merimere Reservoir and walking the road back toward the park, I found this religious tract wedged into a tree.


The dedication to "Len" is a reference to a local who NEVER walks the road but sticks to the trails. Either Len has changed is decades old ways or he'll never find the tracts. Of course, it just occurred to me he'll never find them if I keep picking them up, either!

Let's look inside at some of the scribblings meant for Len, and others who I know frequent Hubbard Park.




Nearing the gate across the road, I noticed this long ago discarded piece of iron in the brush by the fence line. I'd seen it before but didn't think it was moveable. That is, until today.


Too heavy to carry, I placed it on the other side of the gate, in the hope that the parks department will see it and remove it. I wonder how old it is and if it has any history in conjunction with Hubbard Park.

I dropped off my litter for the week and look forward to warmer temperatures which are forecasted for later this week.





No comments:

Post a Comment