Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2021

Hot and Sweaty


 High humidity blanketed the area this weekend, obscuring Castle Craig. It would take over half the day to burn off the cover but the humidity would remain. That didn't stop the fun!

Visit #1313, Saturday 26 June 21, 6:40-10:00AM, 5.5  miles, 6.2lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 70's, rising to near 90, with very high humidity.

Starting early on Saturday helped me to avoid the heat, but the humidity was so high it was just a drip-fest. Of course, it didn't help that I was packing a chainsaw.

This was a Power Tool Weekend®. Last week I discovered a couple small trees on the Blue Trail above Merimere Reservoir that had fallen across the trail. I would address these trees and whatever else got in the way of a clear trail.

Shortly after starting out, I discovered a large number of animals trying to escape the humidity of their ziplock bag. I set them free.


A gaggle of Canadian Geese enjoyed the early morning quiet on the reservoir. A brisk breeze from south to north rippled the water.

Reaching the Blue Trail along the western edge of Merimere Reservoir, I followed the trail to the first fallen tree.


Further up the trail, a second tree got my love and attention.


Reaching a view of Mine Island, you could see the humidity hanging over the park.

The view of Hubbard Park from Castle Craig wasn't much drier, but the breeze was surprisingly cool. The tiny splot of water in the background is Mirror Lake.

Good thing I had my chainsaw with me. Immediately upon picking up the Blue Trail after leaving Castle Craig, I encountered this branch bent over across the trail and removed it.


Last for the day was a tree bent over the road, pressing on a couple other smaller trees.You can see the bent trees in the photo.


It's not as evident in the After photo, but I removed the three very small trees and improved clearances.

I followed the trails down, over I-691 and back to the parking lot, where I dropped off my bag of litter.

I returned to the park early Sunday morning by bike. There are plans afoot to replace the missing "eyes" in the Face Rock on Hubbard Park Drive. Details will follow at the appropriate time. I was asked to take photos of the face, which made a convenient excuse to take a bike ride, despite the continued humidity.

The stiff breeze from south to north was still present on Sunday morning,  resulting in slightly choppy waters on the reservoir, and making the continued humidity a bit more tolerable.



No comments:

Post a Comment