Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2022

Spring Arrives

 

Spring arrived at 11:33AM this morning. I was in and out of Hubbard Park before the moment, but I did enjoy the warmer, spring-like morning on this first day of Spring.

Visit #1355, Sunday 20 March 22, 7:20-10:00AM, 4.1 miles, 14.4lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 40's to low 50's, mostly clear but clouds moving in.

I switched out last week's chainsaw for my pole saw, I guess making this a Pole Saw Weekend® as I continue to trim the roadsides of low hanging branches.

And just how low are these branches?

Yeah, the road definitely needs a haircut. I'm working on it, but the park has a big head to cut. Today I reached almost to the jersey barrier in the background.


I worked for an hour, then turned around and returned to the parking lot to drop off my pole saw, then performed some limited litter pickup within the park.

Today's score included Season of the Missing Glove 2021/20, entries #13 and 14, Vernal Equinox Edition.



Near the Grecian Temple, I discovered this plaque I never noticed before. There are a number of them interspersed within the park. For being "just" a greenskeeper and park foreman, Mel's dedication must have made quite an impression on people to deserve such a remembrance.


Coming around to the north end of Mirror Lake, I was disappointed to see the amount of trash floating in the water. At first, the only way I could think of reaching it would be in a boat, then a more convenient solution hit me: A POOL SKIMMER! Unfortunately, I don't own a pool...  I'll mention it to the parks department and see what can be done.

My litter collection today was packaged a in a tidier fashion.


As an aside, near the end of my workday on Friday I had about an hour to kill so I stopped at the Berlin Public Library to find something to occupy my mind. In the New Books non-fiction section I found this:


"How To Suffer Outside: A Beginner's Guide to Hiking and Backpacking" is actually pretty funny, as the author intended. While I didn't check out the book from the library, I definitely found it entertaining; hardly dry, boring, technical reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment