Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2022

Pole Saw 2.0

 

Let's try this again.

Visit #1390, Sunday 16 October 22, 7:00-10:55AM, 5.7 miles, 15.3 lbs. of litter.

Starting temps in the high 40s, rising nicely into the low 60s by hike's end.

Two weeks ago I reported breaking my pole saw for the second time, rendering it impossible to extend.

As you can see, I bought Pole Saw 2.0, relegating version 1.0 to the spare parts bin and promising to use more care with version 2.0. However, I was so thrilled with my attempt to sharpen 1.0's saw blade that I moved the old saw blade on to the new saw. This week I would be back in business.

But first I had to get to the location where I left off two weeks past. Hiking along the road around Merimere Reservoir I got to enjoy the changing foliage.


Reports say fall colors will be at their peak until 24 October, which gives you one more week to peep at leaves.

While traipsing my way north around the reservoir, I came upon my Find of the Week.

That ranks right up there with the family-sized package of chicken thighs I found earlier this summer.

And rank it was; the smell of room temperature raw meat was well, rank.

More traipsing and more foliage followed.




Checking up on the Merimere Reservoir Alligator, it continues to grow in length, even with the steady rain we had last week. Pretty soon there were be a land bridge from shore to the tail.


Climbing over the guardrail to retrieve some litter, I discovered this long forgotten valve for channeling water from the Maloney Canal into Merimere Reservoir. Looks like it opened and closed vertically, with a now missing screw drive. Wonder when it was installed?


It was finally time to get back to tree trimming, now with Pole Saw 2.0!


Today I reached a milestone, the fork in the road to East/West Peak. I'll now be able to pick up where I've left off without following the reservoir road but taking the trails instead. That means faster access for me, and more productivity.


Done with trimming for the day, I followed the trails to Castle Craig, and enjoyed more foliage views.



Getting closer to the park, I encountered some graffiti. This is the 8th time I've found this "Brandon" Graffiti since August of this year.


I used some drinking water I had remaining in my bottle, along with a brush I always pack for just such occasions, and scrubbed away. We'll have to wait until it's dry to see how effective it was.


Next week: Something big...

No comments:

Post a Comment