Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2022

My 2nd (or maybe 3rd) Job

 

Besides maintaining the trails and trimming the roadsides to East/West Peak, occasionally I remove graffiti.

Visit #1393, Sunday 6 November 22, 6:15-10:25AM, 5.8 miles, 6.6 lbs. of litter.

Unseasonably warm for November-temps in the 60s at 6AM, rising to the low 70s. Very breezy, mildly humid, and mostly cloudy.

A few weeks ago I climbed the stairs to Castle Craig and was surprised at the amount of graffiti on the stairs, the walls, and the parapet. In addition to my normal weekly duties, I loaded up to remove what graffiti I could.

Daylight Standard Time began this morning so my start was mostly in the dark.

Shortly after beginning up the road around Merimere Reservoir, I came upon what I first thought might be dumping, but concluded must be construction supplies for I-691 bridge work. It will be interesting to see this develop.

There were a lot of "findings" this week. I barely made it half way around the reservoir when I found this bulky blanket, as you see it.

If it comes out clean after washing, I'll bring it to Goodwill.

Update on the Merimere Reservoir Alligator- it's grown so large it no longer has a tail. I think that's the lowest I've ever seen the water level at the reservoir.


Reaching the gate at the Maloney Canal, I discovered the lock has been cut again. I sent an e-mail and photo to the director of the Meriden Water Department. I've done this before; I usually get no response, no thanks, then a new lock appears.


That's my bag of litter behind the iron post.


A couple of early morning mountain bikers ride up the hill. I eventually caught up with them at the top of Castle Craig and we chatted for a while.


Those mountain bikers passed by my next Find of the Week and didn't bother to pick them up.


These Foster Grants are polarized with nary a scratch on the lenses. If I didn't wear prescription glasses I'd be stylin' in these. If anybody wants them, e-mail me; I'll hold on to them for one week.

At Castle Craig I began to address the graffiti using the various solvents and tools I carried including the steel, and brass bristle brushes above. No "after" photos today as I think some of the graffiti will need a revisitation. I spent an hour finding and removing what I could, in addition to removing stickers and whatnot.

This was what caught my attention and prompted me to focus on graffiti today.

This graffiti was after I wet the area down with Goo Gone and before I applied elbow grease.


This graffiti removed easily using lacquer thinner.


Leaving Castle Craig I found this forgotten childrens' hoodie. Hopefully it will follow the blanket to Goodwill.


There were a lot of people out on the trails today, enjoying the gifted temperatures and the fallen leaves. The gift won't be long lasting however, as more seasonable temperatures will return later this week.





No comments:

Post a Comment