Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2026

Timing

 

Visit #1619, Sunday 20 September 26, 6:50-9:25 a.m., 5.4 miles, 8.8 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the low 60s, clouding up with rain developing.

In the past month or so I've been caught a few times in the rain while hiking in Hubbard Park. With rain scheduled to start about 9 a.m. I was planning, and hoping, I'd avoid it this time.

Behind the water tank I found Cat's Patootie graffiti #47 since November 2016.

I'm not satisfied with my removal attempt so I shall return.

Further on I found #48, which will also get my attention soon.

On another trail I found a newly fallen tree which I shall remove next week. I haven't yet decided whether power tools will be involved.

An unusual find: a window crank, found on the trail behind the water tank. There's no window within a mile of that spot that it might belong to.

Up at Castle Craig I found my next donation to Goodwill, a large sized hoodie.

But the most interesting find of the day was at 7:50 in the morning, the klieg lights were on.


It was well past sunrise so either the photocell has failed or the plastic lens is clouded over from age. I didn't think the cloudy conditions were the cause. I also didn't take a photo of the photocell so as to not give anyone ideas. I'll notify the parks department to check it out.

Today's trivia: The klieg light was invented by two brothers, John and Anton Kliegl, German-born American lighting experts. Why the "l" was dropped from the light's name is unknown. Also, it's apparently acceptable to spell it "kleig" according to my Merriam-Webster dictionary but it's a secondary spelling. Don't be brain lazy; spell it right, people!

Reaching the end of the trail and the road at the north end of Merimere Reservoir, it just barely started to rain. I couldn't feel it but I could see the drops landing on the water. Maybe you can see the drops, too.


I reached my truck while the rain was just gaining momentum. Perfect timing.






No comments:

Post a Comment