Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

What a Difference a Week Makes


A strong, late winter sun shines down on the Halfway House and Hubbard Park beyond.

Visit #851, Saturday 22 February 14, 9:10-11:15AM, 4.8 miles.
Temps in the low 40's, sunny.

With deep snow still covering the trails, I would stick to the road as I did last week, only I would head toward Castle Craig instead of West Peak.

Paul Bernier joined me this week and although I wouldn't need help picking up trash or clearing any trails, his company was welcomed.

Last week, the road to Castle Craig was buried under a good 12" of unplowed snow. This turned back many a disappointed walker as I could attest to the lack of footprints as I snowshoed along the road.


The City of Meriden did a fine job plowing the road this week for, other than some ice patches in the first mile, it was clear the remainder of the distance for the MANY walkers we saw out on this sunny day. No doubt the late winter sun helped clear the road as well.


But the road to Castle Craig has some pitches that would turn back the toughest of vehicles as it did on the last section before reaching the Castle.


Once back on the snow, I donned my snowshoes for the return trip on the trails back to the park.

Paul and I reached the parking lot where Paul proudly displayed the only 2 pieces of trash we collected.


To reaffirm that it's still winter, someone had the forethought to equip the monument at the playground with seasonally appropriate headgear. This photo is from last week.


I don't imagine the bronzed child will need the hat much longer.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment