Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Right Tools For The Job


Untrampled snow awaits on the trail.


Visit #849, Saturday, 8 Feb 14, 11:00AM-1:35PM, 4.9 miles.
Temps in the low 30's, mostly sunny.

On Saturday, if I didn't bring the right tools for the job I was gonna be in a world of slow, wet misery.

Last week I discovered a tree had fallen across the Blue Trail up near Castle Craig. This week's goal was to remove it.

Meriden had a good dump of 10-12" of snow on Wednesday. Temps were cold enough so there wouldn't be much melting. I needed to bring the right tools to remove the fallen tree, and the right tools to get to it, otherwise it wasn't going to be fun.

I brought the right tools.



After passing the Halfway House I cut directly through the woods; something you wouldn't dream of doing without snowshoes. I hiked up the Virgin Mary and picked up the Blue Trail pointing east toward Castle Craig. Fortunately, the snow did not bury the tree I sought so it was easy to find.


Out came the other correct tool for the job and I cleared the tree from the trail.


I moved on and picked up a trail which leads from near Castle Craig all the way down to Merimere Reservoir, paralleling the road. Since this trail had no tracks, I can only assume it's not well-known, which is too bad because this trail is much more enjoyable than walking on the road.

 Breaking trail can be work, but it's always fun.


While snowshoeing down this trail I found a couple of stacked 5 gallon buckets. I'd love to know how, why, and when they found their way to that spot because I hadn't noticed them before and I think I'd been on that trail within the last 2 months. I can't imagine what is out here that would require buckets.


Back on pavement at the north end of Merimere Reservoir, I tied my snowshoes to my backpack, stuffed my hiking poles in with the chainsaw, and walked the road back to the park.


Besides the buckets, the only trash I found was what else but a Dunkin' Donuts cup.






No comments:

Post a Comment