Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2015

No More Flags


Check out the puffy clouds-yeah; it was that kind of day-perfect.

Visit #966, Saturday 8 August 15, 12:00-2:25PM, 5.0 miles.
Temps in the 80's, sunny and dry.

Last week while descending the trail from Castle Craig, I noticed the it was overgrown and in need of a haircut. That was this week's task.

I hiked a counterclockwise loop from the park up to Merimere Reservoir. Enroute I picked up a couple "nip" bottles of the same brand, but hit the mother lode leaning against a tree on the trail behind the water tank. It seems our drinker has found the ideal spot for his collection.


At the other end of the trail I discovered a dead hemlock had fallen across it. At first I thought I would have to return with my chainsaw but then I decided to give it the old college try and was able to clear it from the trail.



However it remains to be seen whether Len can keep his hands off it and not put it across the trai.

The rest of the tree I decided will stay across an adjacent trail which is relatively new and mostly unused. Hopefully nature will recover that trail and grow in to fill it.


I hiked up to the Halfway House then up to the trail which needed trimming. Reaching Castle Craig, I found it teeming with people enjoying the view. Why wouldn't it be, on such a spectacular day?


I followed the Blue Trail across the ridgeline and down to the walkbridge over I-691. I found the two American Flags, which made their annual appearance in June,  have been stolen.

All that remained:



Back at the parking lot I deposited my trash bag. Unfortunately I left my work gloves on top of the fence. I returned to Hubbard Park early Sunday morning on my bike and on a whim decided to see if they were still there. Alas, no.


No comments:

Post a Comment