Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Storm Damage Assessment


Interesting how the water naturally seeks the path of least resistance. I have to wonder whether the water flow created the path or the water merely follows the path worn by decades of hikers.

Visit 1003, Saturday 27 February 16, 2:35-4:55PM, 5.9 miles.
Temps in the mid-40's, sunny.

Last week we experienced an unusual February rain storm which brought with it very high winds. My goal this weekend was to inspect the trails below Castle Craig for storm damage and clean up whatever I could.

After leaving the parking lot I hiked to the south end of Merimere Reservoir and walked a moth-like route, covering all the trails. 

I stopped at the Halfway House. The pile of branches stacked within was still there and made the place look dumpy, so I got rid of them. I also found some trash, which I added to my bag:


What remains a mystery to me is, why would there only be ONE shoe? I mean, if you're going to get rid of your shoes, wouldn't you toss both of them? I hope I don't lose sleep over this...

All along my hike I had been picking up the small branches which had fallen from the storm, and there were many. When I arrived at the bottom of the trail leading to Castle Craig, I found my first fallen tree.


Too big and heavy to move, and still partially anchored to the ground.

I scoured the rest of the trails and crossed over I-691, walking the main trail leading back to the park.

I stopped at the trail head on West Main Street across from Belmont Avenue; thanks to Chris Bourdon, Assistant Parks Director-he told me via e-mail a crew had picked up the computer monitor I found there last week. That's this week's trash bag in the photo.


Returning to the trail and pointing myself back toward the park, I found another piece of storm damage.  This tree trunk landed on the guardrail.


Next week I'll bring my chainsaw, clean up what I found this week, and inspect trails on the high side of Castle Craig for storm damage.


No comments:

Post a Comment