Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Detours


My life took a detour this week from plying my trade in Hubbard Park. Sorry for the late post; I'm sure you missed me!

Visit #1020, Monday 27 June 16, 4:45-7:10PM, 5.0 miles.
Temps in the low 80's, humid and clouding up toward rain.

Illustrating the aphorism that "no good deed goes unpunished" My health hit a speedbump this past week.

Physical symptoms led me to the doctor's office, who pushed me to the Emergency Room, who then boarded me at Club MidState for 4 days. The diagnosis was a Type I Wenckebach AV block. End result; I'm getting a pacemaker!

So what's the first thing I did after being sprung from prison on Monday?!

The day prior to my enforced vacation, I received a call from a cycling buddy complaining of the potholes on the steep road up to East and West Peak, and the detours he had to make around them.

I'd been up the road just one week ago and made a mental note of the potholes but didn't think much beyond that. After the phone conversation with Mike, I thought I might document the pothole count and see if I couldn't plant a bug in the Meriden Parks Department's ear to patch over the spots before someone gets hurt.

Instead, the bug got to me first and as a result, I was too late.

On Saturday of last week, pal "E." and wife "J." took a ride up to Castle Craig. On the descent, "J." found one of the potholes and took a slight detour of her own.

The squeamish should avert their eyes or scroll down quickly.





Now I was duty bound to document those potholes before someone else gets hurt.

So, shortly after being discharged from the hospital, I kitted up and hiked a clockwise route that would allow me to walk the road from East/West Peak down and mark all the potholes that I thought could cause a cyclist to crash. In our phone conversation, Mike and I went back and forth regarding the best color to mark the offending holes. In the end, I chose both colors. Next time I'll use REAL road marking paint.








Note the wheel I found and placed on the uphill side of the road; less chance to clock it at high speed.



Of course I didn't neglect my trash pickup/tick acquisition duties, and returned to the parking lot with a large bag.


I'll see if I can't persuade the Meriden Parks Department to smooth over the road. In the meantime, be careful out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment