Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2019

Springing Into Action


Endless groups of people enjoyed the shortsleeve spring weather on Sunday, walking along the road in Hubbard Park.

Visit #1187, Sunday 7 April 19, 10:45AM-1:50PM, 5.6 miles, 15.1lbs. of trash.

I parked the car and headed west, to the walkbridge over I-691. Last week I spied one of the flags tied to the fencing had broken loose from its tyraps and I planned on re-securing it.


 Alas, when I arrived, I discovered it had been taken care of, except they did half a job and did not trim the ends.


No problemo; I come equipped for just about any eventuality.


Do those cutters make my hand look fat?


I followed the trails up to West Peak, and policed the area and the parking lot of litter. I picked up another trail to take me down toward Merimere Reservoir.

As reported in The Record Journal this week, there are signs of spring in Meriden, and as Harmony Scaglione pointed out, one of those signs is the racket made in Hubbard Park by those horny little frogs- spring peepers. I sought out the frog single's bar in Hubbard Park in an attempt to surreptitiously record their mating call. As I approached, they told each other to shut up, until it was quiet as a library, so I didn't catch the racket.



I left the frog party and moved on to address a fallen tree. This tree fell across the trail during the deep of winter. Now that it was free from the snow and ice, I could move it.


This tree got some "comealong love".



In the distance I could hear the spring peepers back at it.

I followed the trail down to Merimere Reservoir and followed the road back to the park.

With the broken barrier at the gate, motorcycles are easily passing through, to the surprise and consternation of walkers and hikers. I counted three motorcycles breaching the gate while I was on the road. The gate needs repairs, and soon.


I returned to the park and dropped off a very heavy bag of litter.


With the Daffodil Festival approaching, as well as the seasonal opening of the road to East and West Peak, now is the time and weather to enjoy walking the road around Merimere Reservoir, and maybe take in the view from West Peak.


No comments:

Post a Comment