Pages

Sunday, April 21, 2019

Easter Egg Hunt


Daffodil Festival activities take a break on Sunday to observe Easter. Good thing too; the rain would, wait for it- dampen attendance!

Visit #1189, Easter Sunday 21 April 19, 6:35-9:05AM, 4.4 miles, 24.0 lbs. of litter.
Temps in the high 50's, cloudy with periods of rain.

I started this week's hike very early because I mistakenly wanted to avoid the crowds of any Daffodil Festival activities but I later learned none were scheduled due to the Easter holiday. I promised myself I would take a nap when I got home to make up lost sleep.

With the parking lot occupied by the festival tent, I had to park in the far northwest corner of Mirror Lake, so I started my work there. I quickly filled one bag of trash and left it by my car, and started another one.

I found Season of the Missing Glove 2018/19 entrant #8.


Shortly thereafter I found these containers for marijuana joints. I expect to see more of this as Massachusetts' legal pot continues to make its way down south.




I find the vaguely descriptive, innocent name of the product misleading-much like cigarette brands. Seems like legal pot vendors are following the same advertising methods used for vaping products.

On the other side of I-691, I found the brook flowing strongly down toward the highway due to the recent rains.


I followed the main trail to the Halfway House, and roughly 100 yards past it, I came upon my Find of the Week.


In 20 years I've never seen a passenger car on the trails, only emergency vehicles. I was surprised to find this wheel cover.

Down near Merimere Reservoir I found this tree leaning over the Yellow Trail.


It took some wrestling but I managed to remove it.


Just as I reached the reservoir, it began to rain. Fortunately I packed a rain jacket.


The Meriden Parks Department has temporarily placed concrete blocks in front of the pedestrian gate to deter motorcycles from passing through, when the road is closed to traffic. Unfortunately, I think they placed the blocks too far away from the opening to be effective. I know permanent repairs are planned, however.


I dropped off my second bag of trash and ended my day having not spent too much time in the rain.























No comments:

Post a Comment