Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2019

Ferreting Out Things


It was a breezy Saturday in Hubbard Park, as the choppy water will attest.

Visit #1186, Saturday 30 March 19, 1:40-2:50PM, 2.6 miles, 2.7lbs, of litter.

Temps in the mid-60's, sunny and breezy.

I had dog sitting duties this week and I hated to leave Henry home, bored and alone for long, so I kept this week's outing brief.


Henry commandeered my couch.

As I was hiking to my objective for this week, I ferreted out (person's name on the prescription label withheld for privacy) this medicinal marijuana container.


Bonus: The container wasn't empty!


Smelled like the theater at a Cheech and Chong movie.

After that whiff I had a contact high, and got a hankering for Cheetos and Twinkies...

During last week's outing, I spied an unusual painted rock formation which I could have sworn I'd seen and painted over a long time ago.



So I checked my records and sure enough, I encountered this "graffiti" back in July 2017.


Sure seems like someone re-painted over what I tried to cover up almost two years ago, but why?

In any event,  I hiked directly to the spot and rather than just paint over them again, I decided to flip them over and paint just what was visible. That way, if "whoever" moves them back, I'll know by the visible white paint.

So I flipped them over and painted them gray again.



It was while uncovering the rocks that I came upon my Find of the Week.


Apparently someone made these rocks the final resting place for their pet ferret. Not as cute as Henry, but much more dead. Although looking at Henry on the couch above, you could argue otherwise.

I trudged on, picking up litter until I returned to the park, which was absolutely packed with people enjoying the first nice day of spring.


It was while photographing my weekly bag of litter leaning against the trash can that I interrupted a man scrounging through the trash can for redeemables. Despite driving a late model Nissan Sentra, he said he had no retirement money, which is why he was searching for cans and bottles. I regret not having a longer conversation with the man to hear his story.




No comments:

Post a Comment