Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2019

Mucking About


I got this. Right...

After last week's episode, collecting litter along the brook paralleling Hubbard Park Drive, I learned my lesson and decided to come back better prepared, to finish the job.

To protect my clothing from all the thorns and brambles, I added a pair of coveralls. But what to do about all the soggy ground as well as trudging through the brook when necessary? I thought about it for a while and stumbled upon a solution-muck boots! But where could I pick up a pair around Meriden?

More thought ensued and I came up with a source, Tractor Supply of Wallingford. If you're not familiar with the store, it's Walmart for the "Green Acres" set.

So I removed all my teeth, married my sister, and drove down there with my pet pig in the passenger seat. Scored the beautiful pair you see above. I couldn't wait to try them out.

On Sunday morning I suited up in the parking lot and strode over to the brook to show it who is boss.


It was while cleaning up the eastern bank that I spied some trash in the water.


With my new muck boots on, this will be a piece of cake. I walked right in to the brook...

... and promptly slipped and fell bass ackwards on my butt into the brook.

Much cussing followed. The only bright side was I fell facing downstream, so my boots didn't fill with water. However, my clothes were soaked and my testicles were now a pair of frozen cue balls.

Which reinforces the adage that no good deed goes unpunished.


But I got that trash!

As if that was the most painful thing to happen to me that day, it was quickly eclipsed by finding this CD.


I'll tell you everything I know, just don't play George and Tammy!

I'm pleased to say I finished policing up the brook.


I removed the drenched coveralls and the muck boots, but would have to continue with wet jeans, underwear, and gloves.

I dropped off those two bags of trash and started another as I walked up the road toward Merimere Reservoir. It was getting kind of full for the trip ahead, so I left it at the water treatment plant.


The remainder of the trip of the road was pretty uneventful.

I hiked the trails down, where I found Season of the Missing Glove 2018/19, Exhibits 7 and 8, and a dog-chewed pair of sandals.


I returned to the park a little drier by now, and dropped off my last bag of trash.


No comments:

Post a Comment