Pages

Sunday, September 22, 2019

Just-What A Beautiful Day


Just where were YOU on this most perfect, late September day? I was in Hubbard Park, enjoying mild breezes, temps in the 60's and climbing, and lots of sunshine. Thank goodness this wasn't a weekday, otherwise it would have been wasted on all us working stiffs!

To quote Nathaniel Hawthorne, who knew what I was talking about; "I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house."

Visit #1213, Sunday 22 September 19, 7:30-9:45AM, 5.5 miles, 8.8lbs., of trash.

I had not been up to West Peak in a while so that's where I headed from the parking lot on Sunday morning. I did stop briefly to admire my work from last week, and generate some ideas regarding the site, which I hope to implement next week.

On the trail, nearing West Peak, I found a pair of prescription glasses.


 I tried them on and things went all fuzzy; that's how I know they were single prescription lenses. Unfortunately, they suffered some damage to the optics so in the trash bag they went.

What were YOU doing at 8:15 on Sunday morning; still inspecting your eyelids? I was at West Peak, savoring the early morning warm sunshine, and the view.


Unfortunately, the entire view wasn't as pretty. I found some new, offensive graffiti over other graffiti I'd previously painted over.


I had to look up the meaning of "carceral state". Seems like Tatum has a real chip on his shoulder. The Goof Off I carry for such cases wasn't working fast enough on the graffiti so I left.

I cleaned up the West Peak parking lot then followed the road back to the park.

The Meriden Parks Department has been busy patching the road around Merimere Reservoir, as well as to East and West Peak.


A heron checks out the breakfast menu at the Merimere Diner. Hard to believe such a skinny neck can swallow a frog or a bluegill whole!


At the south end of Merimere, I found someone had tossed this photographic reflector into the reservoir. I retrieved it and dropped it off at the water treatment plant.



I dropped off my trash for the week, thinking I was done for the day. But I wasn't.


 I hated to waste such a spectacular day weather-wise, and I knew I wouldn't be able to return to West Peak for at least a couple weeks to take care of the graffiti, so late Sunday afternoon I saddled up the mountain bike and enjoyed a ride up to West Peak to cover over the graffiti.


I wiped off the Goof Off with a spray bottle of alcohol, then used the closest color of spray paint I had on hand. I'll probably return in a couple weeks with a better match.


Here's hoping the weather next weekend is just as enjoyable. Until then, maintain.


















No comments:

Post a Comment