Pages

Sunday, May 3, 2020

Bad Intel


Visit #1245, Saturday 2 May 20, 6:40-9:40AM, 5.5 miles, 15.5lbs. of litter.
Temps in the mid-50's, sunny.

Last week I told you I'd enlisted my scout recon platoon to check out trails I had not traveled, and to report where I would find any more fallen trees.

Well, my recon platoon got lost/forgot/overslept so I had to rely on intel from hikers I met last week, in forming my itinerary for today.

Like last week, I started early to ensure I would find a parking spot, and to spook as few hikers as possible. Well, overcrowding and insufficient social distancing continue to be a problem in Hubbard Park as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, and city officials are considering even stricter park rules to control the problem.

My solution is to start early, get out early. This is the parking lot when I was done at 9:40AM.


I gathered my chainsaw and hiked around Merimere Reservoir, picking up the trail at the north end.

The longer I hiked, the more I failed to see any fallen trees. I was beginning to think the hikers I talked to and my recon patrol were one and the same. It was only when I was close to Castle Craig that I encountered my first fallen tree.

It's a poor photo, but the branches on the right are from the top of a hemlock which had snapped off.


I cut it up and tossed it aside. The second photo better shows the tree, after I began to cut it up.



The second tree is easier to visualize.


It was easier to cut up, too.


I descended from Castle Craig and hiked trails back toward the parking lot.

Near the Soap Box Derby track, I found my second discarded traffic cone in the past month. It was in a state of disrepair so I picked it up and planned to throw it in the dumpster. It was clumsy and heavy to carry along with my trash bag and other items. But shortly, a woman came along and kindly offered to carry it for me. I obliged. Thanks!


I dropped off my litter for the day, which included a plastic lens cover for one of the klieg lights for the flagpole at Castle Craig. Long ago cracked, it also had what looks like a bullet hole in it.


Remember; start early, when the rest of Meriden is still in their pajamas.


No comments:

Post a Comment