Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2020

The Covid Crawl



...not Covid-19. From a rock I found in Hubbard Park on Saturday.

Saturday 9 May 20, 8:30-10:40AM, 4.4 miles, 24.0 lbs. of litter.
Temps in the low 40's with a high, chilly wind, sunny.

I was on a short leash, so I stuck to the trails on the south side of I-691 this Saturday.

That wasn't the only painted rock I found on Saturday. This one reminds me of Maine and L.L. Bean for some reason.


I also found some unusual trash left trailside where it was likely not dumped, but fished out of the woods by someone.


What you have is a piece of a child's toy, a child-sized pool table, and a muffle housing. One hand was full with a trash bag and I had to think of a way to carry all this back to the park.

I tied everything together with rope I carry for just such uses. I added a car part to the collection, which made the rope a necessity.


It's been said, "If you don't know how to tie a knot, tie a lot." I TIED A KNOT; in fact a couple knots-a bowline, and a half-hitch with a bight. It's secure, and pulling on the end of the bight undoes the rope.


But that's not all. Here again, far from where it would likely be dumped, I found a car tire. I rolled the tire and carried everything else all the way back to the park and to the dumpster at the Parks and Rec garage, where I dropped it off with my first bag of trash.


While on the trails, I found a new addition to some of the existing trail markers. No telling what it means. I wonder if our park rock-painter installed it.


I allotted myself another hour to clean up inside the park proper. I wanted to see how much Covid-related litter I'd find, if any. It was sort of a look into society at this point in time.









Of course, after picking up all this Covid-related litter, one wonders whether I'll contract the virus from any of it... stay tuned for that.

It didn't matter that the Hubbard Park pool is closed; this robin found their own pool to bathe in. Resourceful bugger.


I managed to clean up roughly half of the park before I ran out of time. The playscape, bandshell, pavilion, and brook areas, or roughly the eastern portion park.

Until next week...cough cough hack...



No comments:

Post a Comment