Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Storm Isaias Cleanup, Week VI - DONE!

Visit #1268, Saturday 12 September 20, 8:00-10:45AM, 4.2 miles, no litter collecting.
Temps in the low 70's, sunny and dry.

There was one trail left to be cleared after all the storm damage. I took a mountain bike ride on that trail on Friday to take inventory of the work it would require. This trail starts down near Merimere Reservoir and ends at West Peak.


 
On Saturday I was  joined by my storm cleanup assistant Paul. Without his assistance I might have finished in the same number of weeks, but the number of hours required would have at least been double. I'm very grateful for his help, and you should be too.

The start of the trail didn't pull any punches. I'll let you view just some of the Before and After photos. All told, we counted fifteen fallen trees or branches on this trail which needed attention.












This was The Biggie; you couldn't see the trail through the tree canopy. Paul had doubts we would have enough chainsaw fuel to complete the job, never mind the entire trail. My glass was half-full, however.






From my records, I counted over 55 fallen trees or branches which we cleared from Storm Isaias, some not documented in this blog. The final count was certainly higher as I didn't photograph everything. Phew! All the trails in Hubbard Park should now be clear for your recreating pleasure. If you find that's not the case, contact me through this blog and I'll see what I can do.

Next week I hope look forward to returning to the lighter work of picking up litter and maybe pruning a branch or two.



No comments:

Post a Comment