Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Travel Lightly

The north end of Merimere Reservoir is somewhat sheltered from the breezes of Sunday morning. 

Visit #1269, Sunday 20 September 20, 7:30-10:00AM, 4.9 miles, 13.0lbs. of litter.

Temps in the mid-40's to low 50's, sunny, dry, and breezy.

After six weeks of lugging a chainsaw around to clear the trails of storm damage, I was looking forward to carrying a lighter load. I didn't expect it to be even lighter than normal.

I developed car troubles and was reluctant to drive my car to Hubbard Park on Sunday. Not one to give up so easily, I chose to ride my mountain bike instead. My regular backpack would be too large and impractical on a bike, so I used my Camelbak and traveled lightly. The Camelbak definitely wouldn't fit a chainsaw!

Once the bike was locked to the fence, I set off on the road around Merimere Reservoir. I knew the roadsides would have a lot of litter because I focused on the storm damaged trails for the past many weeks.

Zoe's having a rough time, it seems.

This blue heron will have a rough time if he doesn't find breakfast.

All through the hike I kept finding these nip bottle bouquets. Wonder what the story is behind them?


I reached the fork in the road to East/West Peak and had to drop off my first bag of litter because it was full. I'll contact the Meriden Parks Department and ask them to pick it up.

When I arrived at the walkbridge over I-691, I discovered both flags which I removed in January 2020, have finally been replaced. The installer's identity is still a mystery.

Returning to the park, I dropped off my lighter bag of litter and rode my bike home in a leisurely manner.








No comments:

Post a Comment