Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2021

Calm Before The Storm

 Visit #1290, Sunday 31 January 21, 11:50AM-2:00PM, 3.0 miles, 8.0lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 20's and cloudy, in advance of a snowstorm beginning tonight.

During last week's walk along the road around Merimere Reservoir, I noticed that while the holiday decorations had been removed from the "Echo Point Christmas Tree", the adjoining Christmas wreath lingered, far beyond any etiquette.


These rules of etiquette say by the 12th Day of Christmas, or around the 5th or 6th of January, you should remove your decorations or risk bad luck. Well, too late for someone... I removed it.

Since I was on-call, I wasn't straying far and wide, so after bagging the wreath I turned around and returned to the park. Being on a short leash, I decided to walk all the paths and parking lots in Hubbard Park and pick up litter. After recently reading the just-published Images of America: Hubbard Park, I looked at all the points of interest with a sincere, heightened knowledge and appreciation.

Coincidentally, as I neared the entrance of Hubbard Park near Mirror Lake, I found a second wreath, although this was the classic Memorial Wreath Decorated With Alcohol. The wreath originally hung on the pole.


I walked around Mirror Lake, dropped off my litter for the week, and calmly went home to plug in my shovel prior to the impending snowfall.





No comments:

Post a Comment