Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2021

The Bernie Jurale Tradition Run, My Edition

 


It was a cold day on Sunday, as evidenced by the ice forming on Merimere Reservoir. A perfect day to hold the Bernie Jurale Tradition Run.

Visit #1289, Sunday 24 January 21, 10:05AM-12:30PM, 5.1 miles, 18.7lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 20's with a nasty cold wind.

The Bernie Jurale Tradition Run is held every January about this week, weather be damned. Covid-19 put a cancel stamp on what would have been the 52nd edition. I decided to keep the tradition alive my own way, and walk the road up to Castle Craig, collecting litter along the way.

From what I observed, I get the feeling I wasn't the only upholding the tradition on this day. In the parking lot, I noticed several of these stickers on cars:



The sticker SAYS IT ALL . But from what I've learned from some runners, it's sorta okay to run at least 5k on your own in a town that doesn't host an event. Anyway, from the number of stickers I spied in the parking lot, the number of runners that passed by today, and some of the large groups walking up the road, I'd say I wasn't the only one trying to keep the Tradition Run alive. In fact, last week I encountered a group doing expressly that, so I'd say Bernie is smiling down appreciatively at us all.

And the conditions were worthy of the Tradition Run; it was nasty cold and the wind was a sharp slap in the face. Conditions temporarily improved once past the north end of Merimere Reservoir, in the treed shelter of the climb.


The classic method of testing the ice thickness, toss a rock and see if it breaks the ice.

It took me just over an hour to reach Castle Craig, where I had an objective: People toss their trash over the surrounding wall and for some time I wanted to clean up the area as I'd spied some large items there.

There be the wall.


Here be what I collected. There's actually a tent there, too.


Hiking back to the parking lot, I found this miniature Polariod (said so on the back!) photo of East Peak and Castle Craig. People still take Polaroids? Is this a trend I don't know about?


I dropped of my bag of trash and found my car sun-baked warm inside. Yum.


In early January it was announced that a local teacher had published a book on Hubbard Park. I jumped on the opportunity and pre-publication ordered several copies. They arrived this week.


I think this is a landmark book that was long overdue. The many historic photos and well-written text take you back in time, providing all the background and answering all the questions you ever had. I can't say enough good things about it; this is THE historical reference on Hubbard Park. Get your copy HERE.



No comments:

Post a Comment