Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2022

Beat The Heat

 

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Climate Hub Drought chart, half of Connecticut is experiencing moderate drought conditions, the other half slightly less severe. You can see the drop in the waterline of Merimere Reservoir on the back of the "alligator" in the water.

Visit #1376, Saturday 16 July 22, 7:30-10:30AM, 5.1 miles, 5.8 lbs. of litter. Temps in the 70s to low 80s with rising humidity, mostly cloudy.

I took advantage of the dry weather to hike to the north end of the reservoir and clean up the litter tossed into the spillways. Here's a look from within one spillway back toward the reservoir.


While cleaning up I found this BRAND NEW Timberland work boot.



The trail was being protected by a Guard Toad. I paid my due respects to the king and was allowed to pass.


The main objective of today's hike was to use my chainsaw to remove a fallen tree from the Green Trail very near to the south end of the reservoir (and the beginning of my hike), but I had chosen to get there by hiking the Blue Trail beginning at the north end.

Good thing I did; hiking this section of the Blue Trail, which I seldom do, I discovered another fallen tree, which made carrying the chainsaw the extra distance worth the time and effort.



Conditions higher up were much more pleasant; cooler and breezier which offset the rising humidity.


Hiking down the Orange Trail below Castle Craig, I noticed all the dead weeds on the trailside. They were all either thorns or rasberry bushes; I can't tell the difference because I'm not a plant-guy. It almost looks as if someone sprayed them with weed killer; nothing else was touched.



Once back down below Castle Craig, I arrived at the fallen tree on the Green Trail. Merimere Reservoir can't be seen in the background due to the haze of the rising humidity. It was a sweaty hiking day fer sure!



This week's forecast is for mid-summer high heat and humidity and the drought conditions will continue with maybe some thunderstorms for relief. Hike early in the day for the most comfortable conditions.








No comments:

Post a Comment