Pages

Sunday, November 12, 2023

Checking Off That "To-Do" List

 

Did I get everything done on my list? Yep.

Visit #1451, Saturday 11 November 23, 7:30-10:15AM, 3.8 miles, 2.3 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 40s, rising to the low 50s, sunny with a slight breeze.

One month ago, I reported on a stolen Meriden Water Department sign at the south end of Merimere Reservoir. I sent in a work request to have the sign replaced, via the city's work request web link.

After several weeks of no reply or results, I took matters into my own hands. I contacted the Meriden Parks Department instead and asked for them to hook me up with a sign that I would install myself. They came through with flying colors.

But when I picked up the sign I was expecting a metal sign like this one:

Instead, I was given this flimsy plastic sign. This would never last. Budgets must be tight.

So as to not seem ungrateful, I bit my tongue and accepted the sign with a smile. Then I set out to correct this faux pas.

I bought a piece of galvanized sheet steel and glued it to the sign. First I had to prep it.


Hopefully the 3M Super 77 will withstand the environment.


 I even spray painted the exterior wood screws and washers, although in retrospect I think it was overkill and a tad visually unappealing.


I packed up my modified creation and set out for Hubbard Park.

Last week I received an e-mail from Kathy Matula, Recreation Coordinator from the Meriden Parks Department. The parks department was hosting a hike in Hubbard Park and she requested some trail maintenance on one particular trail. Happy to oblige,  I would pack my chainsaw for Saturday's hike.

Lastly, I wanted to continue with my roadside trimming along the roads to East and West Peak. I'm almost done with this multi-year project. So along with the sign and the chainsaw, I brought along my trimming tools.


Now to put it all together and wipe off that To-Do list!

First was to attend to Kathy's trail request. Late in the week I received a phone call from her; she and some friends marked the trail and removed some of the fallen branches and trees that I was initially tasked with removing. Did she take the gravy and the turkey bones for me?

I was reminded of the lyrics from Nils Lofgren's song, "Keith Don't Go". Keith is Keith Richards, guitarist for the Rolling Stones. Keith's drug use was affecting his health and his death was a distinct possibility. Nils's song was a plea for Keith to get his act together so as to not die and abandon his fans.

(Besides a long solo career, Nils Lofgren is the lead guitarist for Bruce Springsteen's band).

The song line goes-

Keith don't go
Don't take my fun


Well, did Kathy and crew take my chainsaw fun away?

I found some of their trail markings.


I also found the stencil they used for other trail markings. Took me a while to figure out what it was because at first I thought it was a self-cleaning litter box 😀. I trust leaving this was unintentional. I packed it out along with other litter I found.


Anyway, while I did use my chainsaw a few times, I saw nothing which would label me a trail hero.

Reaching the bottom of the trail I walked the road back up to West Peak and cleaned up the parking lot.
Among the litter there was my Find of the Week.



I almost violated HIPAA laws and didn't obscure the patient's ID!

Besides back problems they have kidney, heart, and ahem, "other" issues. It's nice to see they're concerned about their health, taking Vitamin C and a multi-vitamin, although author Catherine Price would take exception to supplemental vitamins. I've read this book and it is truly revealing about the vitamin industry. She also writes about our addiction to our smart phones. I've read that as well.

Links to the drugs and their usage are below.





sildenafiL What's interesting here is the paper lists the sildenafil ending in a capital "L" yet everywhere
else I look it's lower case. Maybe the "L" represents the erection you'll get when you use it?! Maybe it's just a typo.

I then turned my attention to my roadside trimming for an hour. I had previously trimmed around this sign for improved visibility but was not satisfied, so I returned and trimmed some more.


Now on to replacing that missing sign.


I hung it a bit higher, out of reach of idle hands.






No comments:

Post a Comment