Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2024

Water, Water Everywhere

 


"Water, water everywhere and not a place to stand..."

-Tables Will Turn, from The Individualist, by Todd Rundgren.

I think of those lyrics every time it rains a lot.

Visit #1469, Sunday 10 March 24, 7:10-9:15AM, 5.0 miles, 4.5 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 40s, rain from Saturday afternoon through the overnight has just ended, clearing skies.

Today I take you on a journey through Hubbard Park after a night of rain.

This brook leads to Hubbard Park and empties into Mirror Lake.

This fence post at the I-691 walkbridge is an unusually popular place for people to place stickers, as you can see from the residue from older stickers I've removed. And I continue to remove them.

I hiked up to the beehive fountain and followed a short loop, then headed up toward the road to Castle Craig.






Below is a case where, as martial arts expert said,

"Be formless, shapeless, like water.
If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle.
You put water into a teapot and it becomes the teapot.
Now water can flow or it can crash.
Be water, my friend."

Here the water becomes the trail rather than cut the corner.


I followed the water, up.


I followed the water down.

Along the way, I removed this fallen tree from the trail.





Up until this point, I managed to keep my feet dry. But now I had to cross this torrent to reach the road.
My luck had just run out.


There was no tiptoeing around this and I wasn't Jesus so I couldn't walk on it, or have Dad part it.
I could only laugh once I reached the other side.


The spillway was doing its job.


During the squish-squish on the road back to the park, I found this synthetic hoodie, which I stuffed into my backpack to eventually make its way to Goodwill.



It only dawned on me a few minutes later: Wait a minute; the hoodie isn't wet which means it was put there VERY recently. Hmmm...

Not so fast-further on down the road as I neared the south end of Merimere Reservoir, a trio of runners who I see regularly on Sunday mornings, came up from behind. The leader, who I know by face but not by name, asked if I had found a hoodie.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! In his eight years of running and occasionally leaving a piece of clothing by the roadside to pick up on the return leg from running up to Castle Craig, this was the first time his clothing was taken! We had a laugh and he was happy.

There was one small fallen tree near the south end of the reservoir which I managed to put onto the correct side of the guardrail.



Now to go home, wring out my socks and dry my boots and jeans.






No comments:

Post a Comment