Pages

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Promises



Visit #1095, Saturday 26 August 17, 10:25AM-12:40PM, 4.2 miles.
Temps in the high 70's, sunny and dry.

As I promised last week, I had a couple lingering tasks I planned to take care of this weekend.

I hiked over the I-691 walkbridge and reached the fallen branch I reported on last week.


Except when I arrived, it had been cleared from the path and was sitting on the side of the trail. Still, it was kind of ugly and I would not be denied using power tools, so I cut it up into small pieces and tossed them down the hillside.



As I hiked my way over to the Halfway House to fulfill Promise #2, I came upon Colorado'd Tree #17 in Hubbard Park.


This tree has been like this for at least a month or two but I never had the tool to remove it. Except today.


Reaching the Halfway House, I assessed what it would take to clear the growing brush around the perimeter and went to work. I failed to take all the After photos but you get the idea.



See that hole on the left-I spied a Copperhead Snake moving around in there. Fortunately it didn't come out to defend its front yard. I knew to look for a snake in that hole because previously I'd seen a black snake disappear into it. There are actually two entrances to that snake den, a few feet apart.









I think I did the right thing removing all the brush and vines before the roots started uplifting the stone wall. I also think the vines were Poison Ivy; fortunately I had gloves on. I plan on returning with Poison Ivy killer for a more permanent solution.

With my promises kept, I returned to the park and dropped off my trash for the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment