Pages

Monday, September 4, 2017

Let Us Spray

Visit #1096, Saturday 2 September 17, 9:30-11:15AM, 3.0 miles.

Thanks to Paul Bernier who joined me this week, and handled sandpaper like a professional.

During last week's foray into Hubbard Park I discovered some graffiti which I totally forgot to tell you about, dear reader.

On a mountain bike ride through the park on Friday, I discovered more.

I also promised to return with brush killer to enact some preventive maintenance at the Halfway House.

There was gonna be a lot o' sprayin' going on today.

Paul and I hiked a clockwise loop and reached the walkbridge over I-691, and our first encounter with graffiti.


I wasn't thinking clearly when preparing for today's work, and thought WD-40 would take care of this stuff lickety-split. My addled brain was confusing graffiti with the stickers I quickly removed a couple week's ago. Must have been the fumes from all those aerosols...

So when spraying WD-40 didn't do squat but lubricate the bollards, I was ready to resort to non-matching spray paint to cover it up. Fortunately the fumes hadn't reached the deep recesses of my memory, and I remembered I just recently began carrying sandpaper for instances like this. I giggled like a lobbyist in a congressman's office knowing the graffiti wasn't long for this world now.

I let Paul do the honors. Notice Paul's blurry glove; that's due to the speed and ruthless efficiency with which he works.


We moved on to our next piece of graffiti.

Question: What's the Greek letter for Potassium?

Answer:


Gray spray paint is highly effective in removing potassium from rock.


At the Halfway House, I sprayed over more graffiti.


Note the shiny screw heads. Those are from repairs I made to the Halfway House in September of 2010 and still holding.


It was at this point I donned my Agent Orange hat and sprayed the perimeter of the Halfway House with brush killer. We'll keep an eye on how effective it is long term.


Paul and I returned to the parking lot and deposited our bags of trash for the week.

Happy Labor Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment