Pages

Sunday, September 24, 2017

The Same Old Stuff


Contrasting to last week, this week's clear skies gave you a real view.

Visit #1099, Sunday 24 September 17, 7:20-10:10AM, 6.0 miles.
Temps in the 70's, reaching an unheard of for fall mid-80's today, sunny and mildly humid.

During last week's hike, I noticed some graffiti on the ironwork inside Castle Craig, where I rarely go. I also noticed trash in the spillways at the north end of Merimere Reservoir. Hiking the same route as last week was the only way to tackle both, so the agenda was cast in stone.

And good thing, too. Because in the past week, a tree had fallen into the trail at the South end of Merimere Reservoir. Had I hiked a different route today I might not have found this tree.


While a chainsaw is needed to remove this properly (that'll come next week), all I had with me were loppers and hedge clippers. I trimmed it as best I could with the tools on hand, and will leave the heavy work for later.


At the Halfway House, I checked on my defoliation of the perimeter. Looks good.


Reaching Castle Craig, I planned on spending some quality time painting over graffiti on the iron work. But my plans were quickly thwarted by early morning hikers visiting Castle Craig. Who the hell is in Hubbard Park hiking so early?!

I had a can of black spray paint burning a hole in my stash that I wanted to expend, but it wasn't going to happen here, or today.

 

I did what I could. Here is just one before/after shot.



I also removed stickers where I could.


I pointed myself down toward Merimere Reservoir. Enroute, I came upon my Find of the Week, gauze and a bandage, complete with oozing body fluids, oh boy!


To help you recover from that disgusting photo, I treat you to a heron looking for breakfast while perched on "The Alligator" at the north end of Merimere Reservoir.


The only way to access the spillways at the north end of the reservoir is to wait until they are dry, and approach from the reservoir side. I picked up all the trash and discovered some graffiti.


Not only did these rank amateur graffiti artists tag something no one else is going to see (What's the point of graffiti is no else will see it?), their parents' tax dollars were wasted: Not only could they not spell "authority", they left out not just one, but TWO letters!

With that can of spray paint still itching to go to work, I haphazardly covered up the graffiti for no other reason but to expend the can. Some day when I have real graffiti to cover, I'll revisit this and cover it properly.


There was more of this in the spillway, but you get the idea.

I returned to the park surprised I collected so much litter considering I hiked the exact same route last week.


It's expected to be fabulously warm today as well as through mid-week, so get out there and partake of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment