Pages

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Friends

Visit 1100, Saturday 30 September 17,  9:45-11:30AM / 3.3 miles,  and 1:00-1:30PM / mileage n/a.
Temps in the 60's, partly sunny and breezy.

I've been fortunate enough during my almost 20 year custodial tenure on the trails of Hubbard Park to have the help of friends. It accomplishes much and eliminates the tedium of doing it myself.

This week I had the fortunate opportunity to have the help of not one but TWO friends.

Thanks to Paul Bernier who joined me this week on my regular rounds.

We headed west toward the walkbridge over I-691. Enroute we ran into a hiker with his dog, Buddy. Well, little did I know when I called "Here, little buddy!" that Buddy was actually his name!

Anyway, I carry dog biscuits for such occasions but Buddy would have none of it out of my hands so I handed it to Buddy's leash-holder. BLH thanked Paul and I for our work and we parted ways. A couple seconds later, BLH called us back and said he had something for me.

He gave me a biscuit SO LARGE, I felt ashamed for the treats I carry. No wonder Buddy didn't like my biscuit; my biscuit wasn't worthy of Buddy's lips!


Paul and I soldiered on, embarrassed.

Things that I worry about: like the coffee cup I spied in the thorn bushes for the past several weeks but could not reach. This week I could, because I made someone else (Paul) go after it with the hedge clippers.


We reached the walkbridge over I-691 and discovered new flags had been installed. What makes this interesting is, the flags aren't usually put up in the fall but around Memorial Day, and they survive for a couple months. These new flags have extra grommets in the middle to help withstand the wind from cars on the highway. Whoever is installing them is getting wise. I've been following these flags for years and have yet to determine who is putting them up.

 

This is what graffiti would look like if Jesus was a graffiti artist. Except Jesus didn't read the King James Version Bible...


Further on up the trail I ahem, risked life and limb, to retrieve a shirt.


Nearing the Halfway House I was reminded of a couple dead trees, one of which was begging to fall across the trail. Since I had my chainsaw with me, I decided to preempt the fall and take out the dead cedar tree in the foreground as well. The remaining leaning tree is "not dead yet".



Down near Merimere Reservoir we reached my objective for the week.


Last week I trimmed the branches off this fallen tree. This week I removed the trunk.


Notice Paul with hand on chin and raised eyebrows, as he marvels at my impressive work!

We returned to the park and dropped off our litter for the week.


But I wasn't done just yet. It was only 11:30AM and I was scheduled to meet Friend #2 for more work at the north end of Merimere Reservoir.

I pre-planned to spend the intervening time to cover over the graffiti in the spillway at the north end of the reservoir, which I discovered and partially covered, last week.

So I drove to the north end, parked at the gate, and began work.

Tools of the trade.


I ran out of paint before I completed, but I accomplished much after squeezing the last drops out of the roller tray. The remainder can be left for another day.






After:



Now it's time to meet Friend #2.

Pal Elmer told me he and his wife rode their bikes to Hubbard Park last week, and as they entered through the north gate, encountered a cycling couple leaving the park. The woman said that, as she maneuvered through the recently installed bollard-


-she cut her arm on the pivoting post.


See the similarities?


Horrors! Elmer wanted to put an end to all the bloodshed, so we met at the north gate for yet more manly tool operation. He brought the tools and made all the sparks; I just got to watch :-( .


Note Elmer's proper safety gear, and the cool look of indifference from a professional!

Of course this was to be a team effort, and I put my artistic touches on the finished product. Smoother than Mel Torme...Go ahead; drag your butt across it and remove all doubt.



No comments:

Post a Comment