Pages

Monday, December 25, 2017

My Christmas Gift To You, 2017


Christmas Eve day in Hubbard Park was a slippery affair.

Visit #1114, Sunday 24 December 17, 8:40-10:45AM, 6.0 miles.
Temps in the 30's, cloudy.

Last week Paul and I found a tree had fallen across the White Trail, leading up to Castle Craig. I returned with my chainsaw this week to remove it. But getting there proved problematic. A light, freezing rain had fallen on Saturday, making walking somewhat of a clumsy ballet because I was unprepared.

Which leads me to my annual winter tip: For walking or hiking on icy surfaces, I heartily recommend Stabilicers or Kahtoola Microspikes. If I had mine on Sunday, I wouldn't be writing about how slippery it was.

Anyway, I tiptoed my way to the fallen tree.


Getting this tree on the ground was going to be a dicey proposition. Because of its height off the ground, its weight, and the unpredictability of what the tree would do when it dropped, I had to exercise caution. I trimmed off as much of the branches, and excess weight, as I could. Then I created a partial cut from the top, and began a second cut to meet it, from the bottom. When the top kerf began to close, I would step back and wait, then slowly continue the undercut, and repeat.


Well, I didn't get the bar stuck in the tree, and I'm here to tell the story so I guess I was successful.


Once on the ground, finishing the job was easy-peasy.


But I ran out of gas in the process and I wanted to remove the damaged tree on the left. It would have to wait.

I hiked toward and over I-691 and returned to the park, picking up trash along the way.


Christmas Day we were surprised with about an inch of snow. With a handy Monday holiday, it was as good a time as any to take care of that damaged tree.

Hiking the trails wasn't as bad on the snow with the ice underneath because this time I remembered to wear my Stabilicers.


Being both a holiday and post-snowfall, I had the trails to myself.


Removing the second tree was routine.



Also while hiking in Hubbard Park last week, I noticed some pesky, repetitive graffiti. After I was done with my planned chainsaw work, I hiked up to Castle Craig and followed the path created by the trail of graffiti.

I found the first of the graffiti on a metal trail marker.


I had planned on using spray paint to cover this. What was I thinking?! It was cold, and when the paint hit the metal marker, it froze like ice. It didn't do much to cover it either.


Then I had a revelation-I have sandpaper in my backpack! But first, I would have to sand through the icy covering I'd created. Once I hurdled that obstacle, progress was quick.



The road down was untraveled since this morning's snow. As I descended, I was more sheltered from the wind.


I reached the second piece of graffiti.


Again I tried the spray paint. I don't learn quickly, do I? Not only was I too short to reach the sign, the breeze blew the spray paint anywhere but where I wanted it to go. Now I needed two lightbulbs; one to use my sandpaper, and how to reach the sign?

The second lightbulb soon turned on.


I stood on the log and made up for my height deficiencies.


The morning snowstorm was moving east, away from Meriden, as I reached Merimere Reservoir.


Heading south back to the park, I found a large branch had fallen into the road. With my chainsaw handy, I was able to save the city a few bucks in labor.



Incidentally, I did the same thing a few times while walking the road down from Castle Craig.

I found the third instance of the kitty's rear end, which I was looking for.


I now had the routine down pat.


A couple more times with the sandpaper, at the gate at the south end of the reservoir.





By my count, that kitty has only 5 lives left.

Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment