Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2019

A Quickie


It was treacherous out there, unless you were prepared.

Visit #1180, Saturday 16 February 19, 11:30AM-1:00PM, 2.6 miles, 3.0 lbs. of trash.
Temps in the low 40's, sunny.

Today wasn't necessarily a long session but it didn't need to be. There's always something to give me purpose and today was no exception.

Last week as I left the park I noticed the flag on I-691 walkbridge, over the eastbound lanes, was no longer serviceable. I would hike west to the walkbridge to remove it.

As you can see from the photo above, the trail was icy. But I came prepared, and here get to make my annual pitch to suggest you, dear reader, to get a pair of decent ice cleats for hiking, or even for shoveling your driveway or cleaning snow off your car. I let my neighbor borrow mine and she was smitten-with the snowshoes, not me! This week I used my Stabilicers. You could Irish Stepdance on Mirror Lake with these things and never miss a beat.


I reached the torn flag.



I couldn't fold it properly until I was at home. It was the best I could do considering the flag was no longer full-size. I plan to find a place that will properly dispose the flag for me.


I turned around and hiked to the small parking area off West Main Street, where I discovered two trees bent over, presumably from the recent ice storm.


I trimmed the low hanging branches from the trail, but will have to return next week with heartier tools to completely remove the tree.

Here's the "after" view from the opposite direction.


I returned to the park and hiked around the Soap Box Derby track and the retention ponds, and depositing my trash at the playscape.


No comments:

Post a Comment