Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Mayor's Annual Cleanup Day


 Grey skies and frequent rain are filling up Merimere Reservoir. Fortunately, we were able to avoid any precip' while out and about in Hubbard Park on Saturday. The rain would come Saturday night.

Visit #1191, Saturday 4 May 19, 8:40-11:10AM, 4.2 miles, 23lbs. of litter.

Temps in the mid-60's, cloudy.

I was joined this week by pal Jeff, who met with me to return my copy of The Traprock Landscapes of New England, and contribute some labor. The book was written and photographed by a couple local individuals, and includes photos and some history of Hubbard Park. If nothing else, buy it for the photos, which are extraordinary.

The City of Meriden holds an annual Mayor's Community Cleanup Day, with Saturday being the date. Jeff and I, while doing our own thing, contributed to the effort.

We traveled clockwise, toward the I-691 walkbridge. Some distance away from the walkbridge entrance, I spied what I presume is a survey marker of some sort, but I don't know why it would be located there, on the trailside, not really near any landmark. Big mystery.


Jeff and I hiked up to the road splitting East and West Peaks, where I set him to work sanding away some graffiti from our infamous Bible Verse Graffiti Vandal, example #13.


Jeff fancies himself an amateur bible scholar, so I tested his mettle and asked him to recall the Bible verse mentioned on the pole. I got some drool and glazed over eyes, but that's about it. He did a better job with the sandpaper.


 It was while Jeff was at work that a long procession of cars drove by enroute to Castle Craig. This was surprising, and disappointing, because it was only 9:20AM and the gate at the park doesn't open for traffic until 10AM. We were hoping for some peace and quiet.

I later learned from someone in the parking lot at Castle Craig that the event was a memorial service for someone. How touching that the location meant enough that the site was chosen for the service.


While Jeff and I were quietly cleaning up the parking lot during the memorial service, I came across the 8th Wonder of the World, the mystery of the man who forgets to put his underwear back on. The next step is Alzheimer's.


We hiked the trail down from Castle Craig and encountered some more graffiti.


 First, I tried the sandpaper left over from the Jeff's Bible Verse erasure.


Then I realized I had an ace up my sleeve, a can of spray paint in my backpack. I would have preferred a better matching-brown, but that can was at home. I may return for a color change.


 Jeff and I returned to the park, having avoided the rain, and dropped off our haul of trash for the week.













No comments:

Post a Comment