Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2019

You Think THAT Was Early?!


A placid Merimere Reservoir; the way I like my holiday weekends.

Visit #1194, Memorial Day Weekend, 25 May 19, 6:05-8:45AM, 4.9 miles, 4.2lbs. of trash.
Temps in the low 60's, sunny and dry.

If you thought last week was an early trip into Hubbard Park, check out this week!

I wanted to hit the park early so as not to disturb too many hikers or draw attention to myself, so I started out near the crack of dawn with my chainsaw to remove a hemlock I'd discovered last week, fallen across a trail at the far reaches of Merimere Reservoir.

Soon after I started, I picked up a large piece of cardboard and stuck it in my bag. Knowing I had a lot more time to go and might fill the bag, I dropped the first bag at the water treatment plant.


 Reaching the north end of Merimere Reservoir, I picked up the Blue Trail and shortly turned right onto the Red Dot Trail, and pointed toward the fallen tree.


No drama; the tree removal was quick and easy.


 This trail parallels the road up to East/West Peak. I reached the top, the joined the Blue Trail heading downhill. At the bottom I reached the Main Trail, looked to my right, and got a surprise!


This fallen oak tree took down a tree branch on the opposite side of the trail. I was thrilled to conveniently have my chainsaw with me to conduct business, and not have to concern myself with a return trip.

Oak was slower to cut than the hemlock, and heavier to move too, but I managed without much fuss.


Turning around from here, I headed to the Halfway House to perform other planned work.

Previously I'd noticed that left untouched, weeds and brush quickly overwhelm the Halfway House every year. This is the second year I brought weed killer with me to treat the perimeter.


I learned my lesson last year, when the top unscrewed while in my backpack, spilling weed killer. That's why you see electrical tape around the screw cap.

A simple but interesting observation: Since the south side of the Halfway House receives more sun than the north side, the brush grows more lush and quicker on the south side.


South Side

North Side


It's weeds and vines like these that I'm trying to control.


Returning to the parking lot to deposit my second bag of trash, I noticed the "Tobacco Free Parks" sign was stolen. Considering how many people I see violating the law, I'm not surprised. I once pointed out to a smoker within eyesight of the sign that they shouldn't be smoking (expecting to get an earful, but I wanted to poke the hornet's nest anyway!). Well, that went over like a lead fart, and I  got my earful.



Make like these Canadian Geese and just cruise through your holiday. And don't forget to remember those who served and died, and be grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment