Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2019

Short Timer


Early morning at Mirror Lake in Hubbard Park. A few people were already "chaired up" at the water's edge, enjoying the day.

Visit #1204, Sunday 28 July 19, 7:00-8:05AM, 2.1 miles, 20.4 lbs. of litter.
Sunny with temps in the 70's and rising humidity and temps throughout the day.

I was on-call this week and with it came a dent in my Hubbard Park plans. I usually like to spend at least two hours keeping an eye on the trails, but on-call duties required I cut short my time this week.

I would have only an hour to spend today so I made a "rule"; I would quit after an hour or after collecting 5lbs. of trash, whichever came first. 5lbs. is a decent number but somewhat high for only a one hour excursion. It was a coincidence that I met both goals at the same time.

I started hiking a trail behind the daffodils and got all excited when I found these two trees had fallen across this well-used path.


Combine that with the fallen tree I found last week, and I've got some fun with power tools coming up next weekend! I'll have to start early so I don't alarm early visitors to the park.

I reached the walkbridge over I-691 and strolled to the other side then back across.


Returning to the park via the trails, I found this shopping bag filled with empty cans, hanging from a tree. It didn't do much toward my 5lb. minimum, but every little bit helps!


I reached the park and as 8AM neared I had one more location to clean up; the small dirt lot at the northwest corner of Mirror Lake.

That's where I hit the jackpot.


This pile of garbage conveniently put me waaaay over my minimum; a weird thing to be thankful for, but thanks 😜 to whoever left it; I surpassed my trash goal!

I returned to the parking lot and dropped off both bags of trash for the week, while eagerly awaiting next week's power tool session.


I leave you with another shot of Mirror Lake on early Sunday morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment