Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2019

A Pound and a Half of Flesh


It was way too cold and raw for a November morning in Meriden.

Visit #1221, Sunday 17 November 19, 8:05-11:10AM, 5.1miles, 15.5lbs. of litter.
Temps in the high 20's, cloudy with a biting wind.

Geez; I had planned to paint over some graffiti today and the forecast called for temps reaching near 40. But it was in the 20's when I was hiking and without the sun making an appearance today, I was wondering whether the paint would even cure.

But I'm stubborn, and I planned my agenda a week in advance. I couldn't be stopped now!

A couple weeks ago I had painted over some graffiti on the road around Merimere Reservoir, then noticed I missed one. This would cause me many sleepless nights until next spring, so I was going to paint over it even if it was raining!


I started my hike on the road, then turned to the trails at the south end of Merimere Reservoir.

Just as I reached the bottom of the steep trail to Castle Craig, I came upon a couple hikers, one of whom offered to take my bag of litter off of my hands and take it back to the park. While it only weighed 1 1/2 pounds (Yes, anal retentive me weighed the bag before I handed it over!), it was early in my hike and I never know how much I'll pick up, and I thought it was a kind gesture on their part so I should not refuse. She relieved me of my trash and I opened another.

Up near the top of the trail I encountered something else which would cause me more sleepless nights if I didn't finish the job.

I had used a chainsaw to trim back this fallen tree, but it was a half-assed job. I didn't bring the chainsaw this week, just a bow saw, to complete the task to my satisfaction.



After redeeming myself, I climbed up Castle Craig to take in a cold, windy view.


I walked the road down, with nary a soul in sight.


Nearing the bottom, I stopped to test out my roller paint method, looking to see how quickly I could set up and break down.



What the well-dressed painter always wears.


I had taken a mountain bike ride in Hubbard Park on Saturday, and spotted some trash dumped in the woods near the road. Today I collected the sleeping bag and pillow.


Because of its size, it needed its own trash bag. Now I was carrying two bags. Fortunately while bulky and clumsy, they weren't overbearingly heavy.

Nearing Echo Point, I found that last piece of graffiti.


I basically poured the paint straight from the can then spread it out with the roller.


Foot traffic on the road was so light, probably due to the cold, that there's little worry of someone walking through it while the paint cures-I hope.

Now maybe I can sleep.

Reaching the gate back at the park, I found Season of the Missing Glove 2019 Entry #10, The Tacky Edition.


I dropped off my litter for the week, wishing for warmer days.


No comments:

Post a Comment