Pages

Sunday, November 10, 2019

Balance


 Visit #1220, Saturday 9 November 19, 11:40AM-2:45PM, 4.1miles, 3.2lbs. of litter.
Temps in the mid-40's, sunny.

During the warmer months, the majority of my effort in Hubbard Park consists of collecting litter. As the temperatures go lower, litter is reduced, and the balance of my work tips in the direction of keeping the trails clear. That is, if the weather is conducive to felling trees and breaking branches.

Last week was the discovery phase. This week was a Power Tools Weekend®.

I was mildly surprised to find ground frost early in my hike. It's too early in the season to be so cold!


I reached my first tree which succumbed to the high winds of recent weeks.


A couple cuts with the saw and done.


This fallen tree was on the steep trail up to Castle Craig, and was a new discovery to me. This trail is heavily traveled, and I was glad to restore it to foot traffic.



My Find of the Week, this wash cloth will come in handy as I'm always looking for cleaning rags when working on my bikes, or around the house. Which reminds me; I have to dig it out of my backpack and throw it in with the wash.


"If you're gonna keep your phone in a bag of chips, KEEP YOUR PHONE in a bag of chips ."
   -Arnold Schwarznegger, as a Terminator in the new movie, Terminator: Dark Fate.

I have to wonder whether Sarah Connor was hiking in Hubbard Park, hunting Terminators.


So what's the reference, and does it really work? Read HERE.

At the top of the trail, a fallen tree's branches spread out into the trail.


I trimmed them back, but I think I could have done a better job. Sounds like a return trip will be in order.


Turning right onto the Blue Trail above Merimere Reservoir, I headed toward the remaining fallen trees.


The first of three fallen trees on this trail.



The second.



And the third.



I reached the north end of Merimere Reservoir and walked the road back toward the park.


Arriving at the gate, I see the parks department got it right this week. Thanks!


I dropped of my trash for the week.


Take a walk around Merimere Reservoir this week and enjoy the fall views, and the quietude.


No comments:

Post a Comment