Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2020

In Advance


You can't escape the humidity, even if you start your hike early.

Visit #1261, Sunday 2 August 20, 6:35-9:50AM, 4.3miles, 23.6lbs. of litter.

Actually, it wasn't that bad once I arrived at West Peak-see photo above. I stopped to take a break and enjoyed a cooling, drier breeze. The rest of the hike, not so much.

The weather calls for possible thunderstorms in the afternoon. As I sit here typing this blog entry, the U.S. Weather Service has issued a tornado warning for Litchfield county. I wanted to finish today before I got rained on. I wound up being wet enough from sweating.

I took a bike ride along the Hubbard Park Trails on Friday afternoon to see if there was anything that would need attention. I found this fallen branch along a trail near the I-691 walkbridge.


On Sunday, I hiked there to remove it from the trail.


It was an ugly dance, but I managed to dance it off-trail.


Something I did NOT notice on my ride Friday, but caught on my hike, was this graffiti on the wooden walkbridge.


I'd previously found this tag in July at the Halfway House. It was written on both sides of the walkbridge, on the south side, upside down. I quickly removed it with sandpaper.


Back in shape.


Further on, I found Painted Rock #28.


The reverse side referenced an Instagram account, but I won't give them the free advertising here.

Up at West Peak, I cleaned up the area and the parking lot. The 16lb. bag was too heavy to continue carrying, so I left it there for the Meriden Parks Department to collect.


I followed the road to the trails and down to the Halfway House. Enroute, I found Painted Rock #29.


Is it a local area code, or "098"?

Painted Rock #30 carries a personal message.



I reached the Halfway House, to address some graffiti in a similar location to recently found graffiti.

I came prepared.


Actually, I should use flat paint rather than satin finish. Depending on how this dries, I may have to return with a better match.

I chugged on back to the parking lot and dropped off my second bag of litter.


I leave you with this week's Covid Mask haul.





No comments:

Post a Comment