Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Storm Isaias Cleanup, Week II

Post-Storm Isaias cleanup continues.

Visit 1263, Saturday 15 August 20,  6:15-8:00AM, 10:45-11:45AM, 4.2 miles, 3.2lbs. of litter.
Temps in the low 80's, with reasonable humidity, and sunny.

I was supposed to meet my assistant Paul at 8AM to clear more storm damage from the trails, but since he no longer enjoys picking up litter, I started early by myself and hiked a loop to collect trash myself.

Knowing it would be a long work session, I planned on bringing a snack so I didn't bonk, but I forgot. It was going to get ugly if I ran out of energy...

Shortly after I started my clockwise loop, I stopped to clear some storm damage.


We had skipped by this mess last week because it was still passable. Time to chop it down.


The gods were surely watching over me because further up the trail, somebody's lost granola bar became the sustenance I forgot to bring with me today. Hey; the wrapper was unopened-that works for me!


I returned to the park and met Paul. Our plans changed; we would travel to his house and clean up storm damage there, then return to Hubbard Park.

Upon our return, we hiked up to the trail behind the water tank. Really; there's a trail through there somewhere...


We found it.


Just beyond that tree, with Merimere Reservoir in the background, was the last one for today.





That's all Paul and I had time for this week, so we parted ways.

On the return trip by myself to the parking lot, I stopped by the steep trail adjacent to the Soap Box Derby track to remove one last fallen branch.



2 comments:

  1. What would the hikers of Hubbard Park do with out you! Thanks for the effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. It makes all the effort worth it.

      Delete