Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2021

Calm Before the Storm v2.0

 This is the second week in a row where a snowstorm had the potential to interrupt my weekly fun in Hubbard Park. Fortunately, I paid attention to the weather.

Visit #1291, Saturday 6 February 21, 11:40AM-1:35PM, 4.2 miles, 0.7lbs. of litter.

Temps in the low 40's, sunny and breezy. Quite pleasant for a winter day in advance of the storm.

I wasn't the only one who had ideas of enjoying the day, before Sunday's storm crept in. The parking lot was an indicator of the number of people enjoying Hubbard Park on a mid-winter's day. The clouds and the blue sky on this day made it particularly picturesque.


The less intrepid chose to walk the road up to Castle Craig and West Peak, which is fine by me.

Some chose to bushwhack through the knee-deep snow. I chose to follow them to see where they went.


The tracks eventually joined the main trail (incidentally, it was called Cliff Drive way back when horse and buggy brought people to the Halfway House).



At the base of the Orange Trail, leading to Castle Craig, was this new sign. Someone put some real effort into it. Big mystery, what it all means. "Stay Wild"?


Nearing Castle Craig, I found this tree bent over the trail by someone.


I didn't expect to find much litter today, and just going for a hike without accomplishing anything constructive isn't my cup o' tea. Tending to this bent over tree made the hike worthwhile. Of course, I was fortunate to be carrying the tools to remove it.


I followed the Blue Trail until it eventually came close enough to the road to pick up the pavement and walk the road down to Merimere Reservoir.


Nearing the bottom of the climb, I came upon another reason this hike was worthwhile.


I couldn't find much on-line explaining what it meant, but the words currently seem to be trending.

Regarding this sticker, I'm the opposite of apathetic. Once again, I was fortunate to be carrying the right tools. No, that's not blood on the knife blade!


I followed the road back to the park. At the recently installed kiosk, I found someone in their own way, tried to add to the information available.



Didn't I say the clouds and blue sky were something to behold?




No comments:

Post a Comment