Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2021

Mine Island-Is Mine!

 


This is what Mine Island looks like from the Blue Trail high above Merimere Reservoir. Today I got a view from ON Mine Island!

Visit #1292, Saturday 13 February 21, 1:20-3:35PM, 4.8miles, 0.7lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 20's, cloudy with a cold wind.

In all the decades of my relationship with Hubbard Park, I always wanted to venture out to Mine Island but obviously being surrounded by water was an issue. Today it WAS'NT an issue, and my quest ended.

In last week's Meriden Record Journal, it was reported the cold snap Meriden was experiencing rendered the ice at Mirror Lake acceptable for ice skating, a rare occurrence. Well now, if it's cold enough for ice skating, it should be cold enough to cross Merimere Reservoir and get on to Mine Island, no?

I was about to find out.

I hiked from the parking lot, up behind the water tank, and onto the reservoir without missing a beat. Either I was going to get across safely or make the obituaries. Crampons and ski poles were the order of the day.

From the photo at the top of my post, I traversed the island right to left. A history of Hubbard Park has it people thought there were precious metals to be mined from the island (hence the island's name), but nothing of real value was ever discovered. I discovered mountain laurel and hemlocks with many of the latter dead and fallen.

But it was a cool trip of a lifetime nonetheless.

At the north end, what to do but keep going! I walked on a frozen reservoir all the way to the north end.



Looking south toward Mine Island from on Merimere Reservoir.

I walked all the way to the north end, where I climbed a steep bank to the Blue Trail. Here you can see my tracks, and Mine Island in the distance.


Once on the Blue Trail, I followed it all the way to Castle Craig. I wasn't the only one on the snowy trails. The hiker you see wasn't well equipped, with only a walking stick and nothing for traction. I soon passed him.


I reached Castle Craig, then hiked the trails down and back to the parking lot, where I ditched my gear and fulfilled my weekly policing duties, walking the various roads and paths in the park, collecting litter.


I leave you this week with a snow covered view east over Meriden, and south toward Wallingford.






2 comments:

  1. I was happy to find your blog with photos about Mine Island. I am always fascinated by lake islands, large ones and islets. I intend to hike out to Mine Island myself when I am once again in this area. Thanks for the photos and congratulations on your mission accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny; I always wondered who has ventured out there! There are a lot of fallen hemlock trees on the interior of the island, such as it is. Incidentally, there is a recently published book on Hubbard Park by Justin Piccirillo, published by Arcadia Publishing. Tons of historic photographs, and one is of Mine Island with a brief description of its history. Worth getting a copy.

    ReplyDelete