Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2021

The Mailman's Oath

 "Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Dark Of Night Shall Stay These Couriers (and me) From The Swift Completion Of Their Appointed Rounds." 

                                                                         - The Mailman's Oath.

Visit #1309, Sunday 30 May 21, 7:45-10:05AM, 4.8 miles, 10.1 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 40's, cloudy with rain developing in the morning.

This Memorial Day weekend I had scheduled some graffiti paint-over activities in Hubbard Park but the weather was not going to cooperate on ANY of the three days. I changed plans to a regular trash pickup/trail maintenance routine.

I checked the weather before I left the house on Sunday, and rain was forecast to start around 9AM.

As the old saying goes, "there's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing" so I dressed for the future and headed out to Hubbard Park.

At the I-691 walkbridge, I checked on the progress of my vine-killing work which I performed last week.

The results look good. Give me a week or two and I will trim the dead vines from the fence.


Slightly further along the fencing I found about eight of these wire wraps. I don't recall seeing these last week when I discovered the newly installed flags, so I wonder if someone removed another flag or banner which was placed there? At least both American flags are still intact.


I hiked my way up to the road between East and West Peaks and walked the road down. Along the way, I ran into a number of other hikers out before the rain. Whether they planned it that way, I don't know.

The rain began just as I reached the north end of Merimere Reservoir at 9:20AM.



By the time I reached the south end of the reservoir, a steady rain was falling and you could barely see Castle Craig through the low hanging rain clouds.


Done with my appointed rounds, I dropped of my (mail) bag of litter for the week.


While this three-day holiday weekend's weather may suck for outside activities, spending it inside relaxin' with a good book is not a bad consolation prize. I've got mine; have you got yours?




No comments:

Post a Comment