Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2021

"Too" Tired Part II, Squared

 Visit #1305, Saturday 1 May 21, 9:30-11:45AM, 3.2 miles, 2.8lbs. of litter.

Temps in the mid 60's, sunny.

First, a Public Service Announcement:

The May 2021 issue of Connecticut Magazine has a special section devoted to hiking, with a whopping TEN articles devoted to the subject. Lace up your hiking boots and go get a copy!


So why is this edition of This Week In Hubbard Park titled  ""Too" Tired Part II, Squared?"

First, because this week I was going to recover the remaining abandoned tires I was aware of in Hubbard Park. 

And second, because your quirky author received his second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine on Wednesday and not only did it make me tired, it felt like I was hit by a bus full of sumo wrestlers who just left the All You Can Eat buffet. Sweats, chills, aches; I was out of work and on the couch for two days, most of the time unconscious. I didn't think I'd pull off a session in Hubbard Park this weekend, but the vaccine's effects left as fast as they appeared so I was mostly good to go on Saturday, and the hike flushed out what remained leaving me feeling as good as Saturday's weather looked.

I wanted to tackle the two remaining tires late in the hike, just in case they tied me up for a long period of time. So I hiked a clockwise loop, over I-691 and past the Halfway House, doing the usual litter pickup.

At just over the one hour mark I reached the location of the remaining tires.

And unlike last week, it was dry and neither tire gave me a lengthy, stubborn mule fight.

The prep work I performed on the first tire last week saved me much digging but it did take over 750 lbs. of pulling force to free the tire.


The second tire put up less resistance than its buried image would lead you to believe.

I wrestled both tires to higher, level ground, secured them with a comealong strap, looped the strap around my waist, and dragged them the half mile (I measured!) to the water treatment plant where I'm sure they're going to annoy someone.

Next week I plan a return to more rational activities.



No comments:

Post a Comment