Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2021

A Foursome

 

Leaves are just getting to work changing color. Regardless, the scenery still looks great.

Visit #1332, Saturday 9 October 21, 7:15-11:45AM. 6.8 miles, 11.4lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 50's to low 60's, mostly cloudy with a cool breeze.

Four trees across trails were destined for removal today. My route would require some doubling back, adding to my hiking mileage. It was necessary otherwise I would have to return on a separate visit with the chainsaw.

Speaking of chainsaws, the chain on my saw was on its last leg and you can see the difference between the long-sharpened cutters vs. a new chain. It struggled today but fortunately I have a replacement on hand at home.

I started filling up a trash bag and knowing my route today, decided to drop it off at the water treatment plant before it became too filled or heavy, and opened a new bag.

I learned of the first two fallen trees from a hiker in Hubbard Park, which is a great time saver. Crossing the north end of Merimere Reservoir, I picked up the trail and soon reached the tree.

I set my chainsaw to work. It wasn't cutting fast, but it was still cutting.


The second tree was much farther up the trail than I was led to believe. I was beginning to think I somehow missed it.


Even my old chain could cut through this small hemlock.


I exited the trail, bypassed Castle Craig and hiked down the White Trail, to discover one of the newish trail markers has been vandalized. I'll notify the Meriden Parks Department.


Now it was an out-and-back hike to the third tree, on the Green Trail near Merimere Reservoir.



Now, for the "back" part, I hiked past the Halfway House and to the Blue Trail leading to West Peak.

I found this tree lying across the Blue Trail at the end of September. Yet when I returned this morning to cut it up, it was gone. Either it slid downslope on its own or was moved by someone. 


My only thought was, "Well, there goes my foursome!". But this week's post title was saved as I neared the walkbridge over I-691 where I found my quartet member.



I thought this would be the end of my day and it would be a short walk across the I-691 walkbridge and back to the parking lot. But I kept encountering things that would delay me reaching the other side...

...like my Find of the Week, this broken walking pole and a set of pet-themed Christmas cards. Why Christmas cards would be attached to the fence is beyond me.


The remaining American flag attached to the bridge fencing is not serviceable, so I chose to remove it. I will drop it off at the flag receptacle at the American Legion Post 45 on Hanover Road where it will be disposed of properly.


Then I kept encountering new graffiti which I removed as well.





FINALLY, I crossed the other side of the walkbridge and returned to the playscape parking lot.


Now pay attention to the photo-see my loppers on the ground against the fence? Well, I DIDN'T. I left the park, drove to the ATM on the east side of town, then drove home. I opened up my vehicle to unload only to discover my loppers WEREN'T THERE. I drove all the way back to Hubbard Park fully expecting them to be gone. NOPE! Needless to say, my loppers were happy to see me, licking my face all the way home.


Leaf peeping season is upon us; time to get hiking!





No comments:

Post a Comment