Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2022

Into the Brrrrr!

 

It was cold enough to freeze over Mirror Lake. Not cold enough for skating, but many people couldn't read the sign. I wonder if we'll have a Darwin Award winner in Hubbard Park this year?

For some humorous entertainment, click on the link above and read about some other Darwin Award winners from 2021 and years past.

Temps were in the single digits on Sunday morning. I tried staying in my jammies until temps rose to something more reasonable (seasonable?), but the temperature wasn't getting out of bed fast enough for my liking, so at 11AM I gave up all hope for warmth and ventured out to Hubbard Park in the mid-teens.

I brought my pole saw this week to finish trimming overhanging branches on the last hundred feet or so on one side of the road, having started at Castle Craig several months ago. 

One side down, 3+ miles to go! Admittedly, this last stretch doesn't look pretty, but unfortunately there were too many stubborn tangled vines, and I never planned to clear cut this segment anyway. We'll see how it looks come springtime.


That one hundred feet or so consumed a bit over an hour of my budget. I returned to my car and dropped off the pole saw, switching to litter-pick-up mode. But first...

...In the saga of The Iron Scraps I Left At The Water Treatment Plant Naively Thinking The Meriden Water Department Would Take Them Away, I was dying to see if there was hope for humanity or if one of Darwin's theories would hold sway over common sense.

The score on Week #6 is Darwin-1, Common Sense-0.


I'm giving them Chance #6.


The strange thing is, I can hang a bag of litter on the fence and they'll take IT away pronto. However when it comes to this iron, there must be a mental roadblock.

Any wagers on whether it will still be there after Week #7?

My Find of the Week:


It took me a minute to conclude what it was-a chisel being used by the crew working on the I-691 underpass.

I stuck it in the man lift so perhaps they'll be reunited with it. However, if they're anything like the water department employees, they'll just drop it on the ground and continue on with their work.


I returned to the park and walked all the roads around Hubbard Park, picking up litter.

Here's Season of the Missing Glove 2021/22 Entry #2, The Found In The Snowbank Edition.


Whether trimming trees, pushing iron under the fence, or picking up litter, it all generated some body heat and made the cold more than tolerable.


This last find is for Kathy M.; it's your favorite! 😏





No comments:

Post a Comment