Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2022

Starting 2022 With A Foggy Bang

Meriden is out there, somewhere.

Visit #1344, Saturday 1 January 22, 8:50-11:50AM, 5.7miles, 20.8lbs. of litter.

Temps in the low 50's, very foggy with intermittent light drizzle.

You woke up New Year's morning with your party hat still on your head. And what you thought was a suppository-that's the noisemaker you brought to bed and slept on last night.

I arrived at Hubbard Park at what I thought would be a late start and fully expected to see many people beginning their New Year's Resolutions, burning some calories. Instead, Meriden was still in bed. The parking lot was deserted.


I hiked over I-691 and up to West Peak. The fog was everywhere-what did I expect?!




Reaching West Peak, I tidied up the area and the parking lot, then treated myself to some solitude by hiking down toward Merimere Reservoir via a trail rather than the road.

Exiting onto the road around the reservoir, I encountered quite a large number of runners trickling by, so I asked a passing runner what the deal was. Turns out the Meriden Parks Department and the Meriden Running Club teamed up to host a 5k event and to top it off, it made the TV news (click on the preceding link). From the number of runners and walkers I met, it was quite well attended and every participant was clearly in a cheerful mood, considering the weather. Can't blame 'em...


I got my mileage in as well, albeit at a slower pace.


As a side note, I did visit Hubbard Park on New Year's Eve, continuing my roadside overhead tree trimming.

I walked by the Little Library posted at the playscape and peaked inside, only to discover more than just books.


It would be interesting to learn the backstory on how this little library has evolved to include canned goods.

It's the third week that the Meriden Water Department has not collected the wrought iron I left there.


In an effort to motivate the water department to pick up the iron and remove it, I relocated it to a spot that SHOULD annoy them and spur them to action. We will see...




No comments:

Post a Comment