Pages

Sunday, April 23, 2023

Under The Weather

 

I assure you; despite the Daffodil Festival, parking in Hubbard Park was NOT a problem. The rain saw to that.

Visit #1420, Sunday 23 April 23, 10:55-11:45AM, 1.8 miles, 14.0 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 50s with rain, rain, and more rain.

Yes, I paid attention to the weekend weather forecast and Saturday would have been more favorable (read: drier) for a hike. But my day job got in the way.

I almost cancelled this week's activities altogether but the title fit perfectly with the rain AND my current state.

I contracted a beautiful case of poison ivy last week and I just wasn't feeling well. Both legs, arms, stomach, chin, and near places only your doctor or toilet paper goes.

But like I said; the title fit perfectly so I couldn't waste the opportunity.

With the rain, the park was a graveyard, and a soggy one at that. By hike's end I was soggy too.

But Hubbard Park still revealed some interesting finds that made the trudge worth it.

Reaching West Main Street across from Belmont Avenue, I picked up this car part.


On the return trip, I found this tag. Looks pretty official, so I left it alone. I can't find any info on what Yale might be researching in Hubbard Park or why they tagged a fallen tree.


Leaning against another tree was a memorial rock.


In case you're having a hard time reading it, it says, "In Loving Memory of Jack Daniels Lewis 2006-2022". I couldn't find any local obituary listings for 16 year old Jack. I wonder what the relation is between Jack's passing and Hubbard Park? It's not the first time I've found similar memorials.

Hung on the same tree- I'll guess "E.L." is a relative of Jack.


And just how hard was it raining-check out this brook which feeds Mirror Lake.


There are times during the year when that brook is dry!


I finished up and went home to scratch that itch.





2 comments:

  1. Guessing Jack was a dog? Lived 16 years and some painted footprints. Maybe a black dog …haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, that's probably a good guess. I was inclined to think no one would dare name their son "Jack Daniels" so a dog it could be. Also, small dogs tend to live longer lives so 16 years is not unheard of.

      Delete